Why you have health issues and what you can do about it…
In functional medicine we talk a lot about “root cause” but what does that really mean when it come to your health? The model above is a tool that functional medicine doctors can use to investigate why you have health problems and how to correct them.
Root Cause Analysis
Root Cause Analysis is a process for understanding and solving a health problem. Figure out what negative events are occurring in the body. Then, look at the complex body systems around those problems, and identify key points of failure. Finally, determine solutions to correct those key points, or root causes.
It is important to remember that THE CAUSE IS NOT THE PROBLEM.
Problems originate from CAUSES.
Below is an example of how this would be applied at Naperville Integrated Wellness:
- Identify the problem: You have stomach pain.
- Define the problem: You have gas and bloating that occurs often which causes stomach pain and it also makes your clothes feel tight…you hate how this makes you feel.
- Understand the problem: Your digestive system is not functioning properly, and this is causing bloating and pain. The problem is in the digestive tract.
- Identify root cause: functional medicine tests determine that you have too many yeast living in your bowel and too many bacteria are living in your small intestine. They have access to much of the food you are eating and they are releasing gases.
- Corrective root cause action: improve gut function by reducing the yeast and bacteria with dietary changes and supplements to enhance gut function and motility so yeast do not overpopulate and bacteria stay in the large intestine (where they belong) instead of the small intestine (where they don’t belong). Create a balanced and properly functioning digestive tract.
- Monitor system (body): monitor the corrective root cause actions. Is the problem solved and do you feel good? If not, is further testing required to discover an additional cause for poor digestive function? The point is to make sure the corrective actions solve the problem by addressing the root cause or causes.
Did you notice that 1-3 are focused on understanding the PROBLEM itself…what is the problem?
Did you notice that 4-6 are focused on what is CAUSING the problem?
You are seeking help because you have a health PROBLEM, but you don’t know it’s cause.
You have not identified the ROOT CAUSE of the problem, so are guessing what should be done to fix it.
You cannot implement a CORRECTIVE ACTION until you have identified and understand the root cause(s).
This is what functional medicine is about and how it is different than the traditional medical model.
Looking for a functional medicine doctor in the Frankfort, Geneva or any surrounding areas? Contact us today.
The purpose of functional medicine is:
Understanding health problems, knowing how and where to investigate, understanding what to look for, understanding what is found and creating a plan of action to correct the root cause of the health problem.
This is what I do, this is what I love, this is functional medicine, this is why Naperville Integrated Wellness exists.
I hope you have found value in this information.
I wish you health, happiness and a better quality of life!
If you would like more information about functional medicine and integrative medicine or Dr. Sexton go to www.napervilleintegratedwellness.com
Do your own research, inform yourself and ask lots of questions. When collecting information, you MUST consider the source. There is no shortage of false, misleading, outdated, profit-driven and utterly biased information in healthcare today; even from the most respected sources and organizations.
This approach to healthcare is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, mitigate, or prevent any disease. Why? The FDA enforces its position that these words can only be used with drugs. This approach does not use drugs.